Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > SAFARI LTD. ONLY
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15th October 2009, 02:06 PM
Kiryuha's Avatar
Kiryuha Kiryuha is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kiev
Posts: 1,348
Default Pine tree by Safari Ltd.

I’ve found that Safari Ltd. offers a pine tree which looks very nice (on photos). At least better than Schleich fir trees. It measures 10x17 cm and costs not so much – about $12.
Now I desperately want to order it to my friend that is going to Florida, but I don’t want to judge only by photos. What if in real life this pine is not so good at all??
So, does anyone have this tree in the collection? Or maybe seen it in shops? How does it look and feel?


P.S.: I wonder why is it called a pine, if it definitely looks like a spruce/fir tree.
__________________
Owners of miniature zoos on shelves, unite!
http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

It's definitely a spruce. Pines are hardly ever that triangular in shape. It's a very nice-looking spruce toy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16th October 2009, 11:31 AM
Kiryuha's Avatar
Kiryuha Kiryuha is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kiev
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
It's definitely a spruce. Pines are hardly ever that triangular in shape. It's a very nice-looking spruce toy.
Agree. I really wonder why is it called a pine.
__________________
Owners of miniature zoos on shelves, unite!
http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16th October 2009, 11:37 AM
Lasersword1973's Avatar
Lasersword1973 Lasersword1973 is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiryuha View Post
I’ve found that Safari Ltd. offers a pine tree which looks very nice (on photos). At least better than Schleich fir trees. It measures 10x17 cm and costs not so much – about $12.
Now I desperately want to order it to my friend that is going to Florida, but I don’t want to judge only by photos. What if in real life this pine is not so good at all??
So, does anyone have this tree in the collection? Or maybe seen it in shops? How does it look and feel?


P.S.: I wonder why is it called a pine, if it definitely looks like a spruce/fir tree.

I have a little and a big Schleich Fir Trees. And I think it's a pretty nice for a tree figure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16th October 2009, 09:19 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

There is a difference between a fir and a spruce. If you look at branches of both carefully, you'll see that the spines are not disposed the same way on a spruce' branch and on a fir's branch. On a spruce branch, the spines are disposed all around it on a full cylinder. On a fir branch, the spines are only distributed on both sides, making the whole branch look flat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16th October 2009, 10:21 PM
Kiryuha's Avatar
Kiryuha Kiryuha is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kiev
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
There is a difference between a fir and a spruce. If you look at branches of both carefully, you'll see that the spines are not disposed the same way on a spruce' branch and on a fir's branch. On a spruce branch, the spines are disposed all around it on a full cylinder. On a fir branch, the spines are only distributed on both sides, making the whole branch look flat.
Thanks for explanation! I thought that spruce and fir were just synonyms in English.
Now I've checked it up and see that these are two different genera: spruce is of the genus Picea (Fichten, ель), and firs - Abies (Tannen, пихта).
__________________
Owners of miniature zoos on shelves, unite!
http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17th October 2009, 08:43 PM
Bowhead Whale's Avatar
Bowhead Whale Bowhead Whale is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mauricie, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiryuha View Post
Thanks for explanation! I thought that spruce and fir were just synonyms in English.
Now I've checked it up and see that these are two different genera: spruce is of the genus Picea (Fichten, ель), and firs - Abies (Tannen, пихта).
I knew it because those trees have different names in french also (I'm a French Canadian who is an amateur botanist at my hours). A fir is called "un sapin" in french, while a spruce is called "une épinette". The most common fir, in my home area (Mauritie), is the Balsam fir; the most common spruce is the White spruce.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17th October 2009, 09:27 PM
philter4's Avatar
philter4 philter4 is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I am in Placerville, Northern California
Posts: 775
Default

CollectA has a cycad and ginko biloba trees that are great models, if you like trees, I have both, they will be used in the appropriate diorama.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18th October 2009, 07:22 AM
WILLYBACOBOY
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes,it can be complicated with those names of those trees!
The fir is called Spar or Sparreboom in Holland,and Tanne or Tannenbaum in Germany,and this is the most common tree to use as the Christmas tree.
The other one is called Den or Denneboom,and in Germany Fichte.
To make it more complicated...the German Tannenbaum is the exact translation of the Dutch Dennenboom,which is actually the other species,haha.
But in the famous Christmas-song we do sing ooohhhh Denneboom(and Tannenbaum in German,which is correct in this language,as they do mean the species that is used for Christmas),although we do have a Spar(fir)in our living-rooms...,strange...isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18th October 2009, 07:24 AM
Lasersword1973's Avatar
Lasersword1973 Lasersword1973 is offline
check "GUIDELINES - ...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYBACOBOY View Post
Yes,it can be complicated with those names of those trees!
The fir is called Spar or Sparreboom in Holland,and Tanne or Tannenbaum in Germany,and this is the most common tree to use as the Christmas tree.
The other one is called Den or Denneboom,and in Germany Fichte.
To make it more complicated...the German Tannenbaum is the exact translation of the Dutch Dennenboom,which is actually the other species,haha.
But in the famous Christmas-song we do sing ooohhhh Denneboom(and Tannenbaum in German,which is correct in this language,as they do mean the species that is used for Christmas),although we do have a Spar(fir)in our living-rooms...,strange...isn't it?

To make it simple, let's just call it a Christmas Tree. Hahaha
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.