Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > SAFARI LTD. ONLY
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 20th November 2009, 07:53 PM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

Default "Safari Ltd" mountain zebra and unknown oryx

I got the oryx and zebra lot from ebay today, here is a pic of the oryx with my Schleich zebra for scale. There are no marks on the belly, but I did find a "made in China" mark on the inside of one of the back legs, no other marks or brand to tell who made the figure. Overall I like it, the legs are a little thick for an oryx but otherwise it is a good figure and will find a place in one of my dioramas, if not the savanna grasslands then in a desert diorama with my fairly large herd of camels.

Here is one of the Safari Ltd zebra, I added a dewlap to make a mountain zebra then repainted him so I can have all 3 species of zebra with the blip repaint.

Well what do you think?
Old 21st November 2009, 01:51 AM
WILLYBACOBOY

First i think the oryx model is quit good actually, besides from the legs which are to thick as you said, but ok, on the Schleich the horns are to thick...
Secondly...i do have the Safari zebra too, it is in my herd of Schleich zebra's, and it fits in good i think.
The attempt to make a dewlap is good, but it is too big i think.
Except from that, the mountain zebra has fines striping than on the Safari-model...sorry.
You could have the oryx in a savannah landscape, but a little bit dryer indeed, but not with camels(dromedar) Phil...,you never see them together, or domesticated maybe.
Or you have to make a diorama with Arabian oryx, dromedar and kropp gazelles only, and that would be dull i think.
Three species of zebra makes it to busy too, although possible in South-Africa, to be the Damara,Burchell(now said to be the same sub-species,although different markings) and the Cape-Mountain zebra.
The Grevy can be found in Ethiopia ans Kenia only now,together with the northern sub-species of the plain zebra(Grants).
When you choose for the southern part of Africa, you could use the oryx or gemsbok too, and the bontebok too indeed.
Africa is soo big Phil...
Good luck with all of this news...
Old 21st November 2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYBACOBOY View Post
First i think the oryx model is quit good actually, besides from the legs which are to thick as you said, but ok, on the Schleich the horns are to thick...
Secondly...i do have the Safari zebra too, it is in my herd of Schleich zebra's, and it fits in good i think.
The attempt to make a dewlap is good, but it is too big i think.
Except from that, the mountain zebra has fines striping than on the Safari-model...sorry.
You could have the oryx in a savannah landscape, but a little bit dryer indeed, but not with camels(dromedar) Phil...,you never see them together, or domesticated maybe.
Or you have to make a diorama with Arabian oryx, dromedar and kropp gazelles only, and that would be dull i think.
Three species of zebra makes it to busy too, although possible in South-Africa, to be the Damara,Burchell(now said to be the same sub-species,although different markings) and the Cape-Mountain zebra.
The Grevy can be found in Ethiopia ans Kenia only now,together with the northern sub-species of the plain zebra(Grants).
When you choose for the southern part of Africa, you could use the oryx or gemsbok too, and the bontebok too indeed.
Africa is soo big Phil...
Good luck with all of this news...
I know that is my biggest problem is that the whole of Africa has too many areas to be easily represented, but my thoughts were not to put them on the same diorama, but maybe make several different habitats, the grassland being the biggest and then several smaller ones to house some of the other habitats. As for the camels, I think there is only wild ones left in Australia, to which they are not native, but what I was thinking was a caravan with the herd that I have and add some wildlife along the trail. This is something I have not even thought about yet, but I have about 12 camels of different makers and they all match in size pretty well, if not in paint job. Again this is after the North American and Indian/Asian diorama, for now I have so much on my plate I don't even think of new ones, but I am always looking for animals in the correct scale while they are available so that the cost is reasonable and they are easily obtainable. For animals that there is no model yet I have ideas and thoughts to be custom made, in different positions and then later if one of the big brands makes a model, as long as the scale is close I have a new position to add to the diorama.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:09 PM

The Oryx is great particularly due to it being in the same scale as the schleich zebras. I love it.
Old 22nd November 2009, 05:42 AM
WILLYBACOBOY

Enough work to do for you Phil...
But this way, we have nice stuff to look at here!
Old 30th December 2009, 08:00 PM

I like that oryx, it's the perfect scale for the zebras and your grassland (which is beautiful, by the way).

Whenever someone points out that this animal shouldn't necessarily be with that animal, I respond that my dioramas depict zoo habitats and aren't meant to be museum quality recreations of nature.

Dean