Laughing Giraffe Queens Of Hearts      

Go Back   Laughing Giraffe > SCHLEICH and OTHER TOY ANIMALS > SAFARI LTD. ONLY
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2008, 03:16 AM
check "GUIDELINES - ...."

I was looking at Safari Ltd. animals two days ago. Their animals seemed to be sort of hit-or-miss regarding how well they were painted, and how well they were scaled to Schleich animals. One Safari Ltd. animal I found that was a winner, though, was the Arabian Oryx. It was gorgeous, painted beautifully, and perfectly scaled with Schleich.

I hope these photos show up. This is my first time trying to put photos on your forum.

These photos show the Oryx with several Schleich animals.

Well, the German shepherd is slightly large for the scale, but you know what I mean. Of the Safari Ltd. animals, I also liked the sheep, the reindeer, the cream-colored cow, the harp seal and the giant octopus.

Others I found really disappointing, because they were painted so badly. Like the red fox. The sculpt is cute but the painting was amateurish. Childish, really. Also, the elk, which was not only painted badly, it was also not in scale with the others.
Old 25th August 2008, 07:22 PM

I wonder if anyone here has already got some of the 2008 Safari Ltd. wild animals. If someone has, please share your impressions with us.
Old 28th November 2008, 08:43 PM

I'll echo what a number of folks have already said-- Safari Ltd's quality is all over the map. Some of their items are beautiful; their walrus, Arabian oryx, water buffalo, pronghorn, aardvark, anteater with baby, Mandarin duck, turkey, flamingo, hyacinth macaw, and horned owl come to mind.

Most of their figures are well-sculpted, but the problem is that the paint work varies wildly, and some of it is really quite clumsy. One of the things I like best about the Papo figures is the attention to detail given to the eyes, but it is often the downfall of Safari. They just don't seem to be able to handle the small detail. The detail work on their pelicans looks as if it was drawn on with a Sharpie marker-- very cheap looking. On some figures, there is little nuance or color variation in broad areas, which contributes to them sometimes looking "cartoonish." They also have a problem of using too high-contrast shades. Someone needs to take away their glaring white paint, which ruins their king cobra, for instance, which looks like it has big white dentures and gloppy wite-out on its hood. Likewise, the detailing around the eyes on their hyena is so dark there's no distinction between fur and eye-- very different from how it appears in photos on their website, in which it looks amazing. I have been disappointed by Safari as much as, if not more so, than I have been pleased with their replicas.

And as far as scale-- very little attempt to keep species in proper scale to one another. But Britains and these kind of odd, cartoonish replicas marketed as "Noah's Pals" are the only brands that really seem to pay much attention to "proper" scale.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:14 PM

Has anyone noticed that the Schleich Mountain Goat and the Safari Mountain goat are exactly the same? Anyone know why Safari copied Schleich recently discontinued model?

I have asked the same question in the Schleich forum.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:24 PM

I have at least some of the 2008 Safari animals--I am looking at the Pronghorn buck and Hyena from my desk right now. They are fairly well done; not quite Schleich, but the pronghorn is especially better than the Schleich one (since there isn't one).

Some of the animals mentioned (elk, fox) are from their earliest lines--and those ones are incredibly weak, to say the least. Their bears as well were just awful. But they have improved markedly.

As an example:
Old brown bear

New grizzly with salmon:

Over the whole available line they are quite hit or miss, but overall the newer stuff is quite good. In fact, if I had to put a time to it, I would say around 2001 was when they started to improve--they came out with an okapi that, while not as good as Schleich's eventual, short-lived one, was still fairly nice (especially in comparison to their previous wildlife):
Old 13th January 2009, 07:27 PM

Old brown bear makes me smile. It looks so funny, like a bear from a fairytale or so. Anyway, I like the new one more...
Old 13th January 2009, 10:13 PM

I've some of Safari animals in my collection (2008 and older). I think, You all are right. Some Safari animals are cartoonish/funny. But newer are better.
My favorite are okapi, oryx, water buffalo, anteater with baby and morgan mare and morgan foal, alpacas. These animals are really nice finished.
Here are the pictures of my Safari animals:

Old 13th January 2009, 10:17 PM

And more pictures:

Now You can see all differences in quality and scale. Some of Safari animals are not in simmilar sizes.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:12 AM
"keep cool - has a chocolate Heart"

Great pictures. They have a number of different lines, some better quality than others, and different sizes as you say. I have the otter and platypus and both are very good, equal to Schleich in quality. I also have the Dodo and the sculpting is very good but the paint could be done better.
Old 14th January 2009, 03:00 AM

Awesome Joanna ! I like the caribou , armadillo , african buffalo , aardvark , arabian oryx and otter as they look very realistic , as good as schleich . Do u have safari turkey [ new ] ? It looks great indeed ! I have got a few of safari now . Among the newer species , I like the wild dog , pup , Dodo , alpaca , pronghorn and muflon .
Over all , safari should improve their painting technique to a larger extent . Of course , the sculpt is on par with schleich to an extent .