PDA

View Full Version : CollectA Ginkgo Biloba: a gorgeous tree for an Asian display

Kiryuha
21st November 2010, 04:15 PM
As I’ve said earlier (http://www.laughinggiraffe.com/showthread.php?t=5277), my friend from St. Petersburg sent me the Ginkgo tree by CollectA (in exchange of Safari dinosaurs :) In particular, Carnegie-series Spinosaurus went off for this tree).

What can I say, friends?.. I’m really high on this tree!!! It became one of the most precious gems of my collection!

Now in details. Ginkgo has much more canopy parts than Schleich acacia or fir, and that’s why assembling it was more time consuming:
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/63/39/62/10110312.jpg

Here it is in its full splendor:
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/63/39/62/10110314.jpg

The Ginkgo makes my Asian display significantly more spectacular:
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/63/39/62/10110315.jpg

By the way, I found two interesting things concerning the tree’s box. First, the box is totally localized for the Russian market: the text is translated into Russian and one can see a logo of Collecta’s distributor in Russia – Gulliver (it is even larger than Collecta’s logo itself).
Second, as we all know, there are only two trees which Collecta offers at its website - Ginkgo and Cycad. But there is a picture and even the model number (88367) of the third tree! Here it is:
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/63/39/62/10110316.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this third tree anywhere except Collecta boxes?

HyenaSean
21st November 2010, 08:31 PM
I could have sent you one for $25 (T.rex Centre gift store).

We use them as displays for all of the prehistoric figures (although we'd sell them if someone wants them). They are gorgeous trees, and I would highly recommend the Cycad as well (and before time runs out).

The third tree is a Wonambi pine, and it was never made. Moreover, it will never be made, and they are discontinuing the trees overall. I am guessing that, despite their very good quality--they could easily be set next to the Schleich trees--they also share Schleich tree prices; most people simply won't pay that much for them, since most people would want a forest for playing or dioramas. Could you image most buyers dropping $200-300 for even a mediocre forest of 8-10 trees?

It may also have to do with Safari's new prehistoric trees--they should retail at about $10 each, which means they will be far more reasonable in terms of cost (although I doubt they are as large).

drnarayanan
22nd November 2010, 03:09 AM
Very nice tree indeed . But I feel so bad that u had to part with your carnegie dinos :mad: As Sean said , you could have awaited and enquired patiently other collectors and gone in for this decision .

My motto is never ever go for trading unless and until the stuff [ from both the sender and getter ] is almost equivalent .:rolleyes:

Any way ,as u r a big fan of trees , it's worth it. I don't have any of the branded trees so far.....so expensive and they occupy space also . I have few unbranded vintage trees of China make [ got yrs. back when I was very young , with some wild animals. ].

Kiryuha
22nd November 2010, 08:29 AM
...Moreover, it will never be made, and they are discontinuing the trees overall...Oh no, where did you get this information from?? They'll retire all the trees??:eek: :confused:

The third tree is a Wonambi pine...Never heard of this tree. Is it extinct/prehistoric?
...most people simply won't pay that much for them, since most people would want a forest for playing or dioramas. Could you image most buyers dropping $200-300 for even a mediocre forest of 8-10 trees?Yeah, to make up a forest will cost a fortune. But if one buys 2-4 trees a year, he can have his forest in a couple of years. For instance, I've bought my first branded tree last December and now I have 7 (although they're distributed among 4 shelves).

Kiryuha
22nd November 2010, 08:32 AM
Very nice tree indeed . But I feel so bad that u had to part with your carnegie dinos :mad:
My motto is never ever go for trading unless and until the stuff [ from both the sender and getter ] is almost equivalent .:rolleyes:...Oh, don't regret for me, Doc! :wink: I don't collect dinos, so they were just lying closed in a box. And my Russian friend does collect them and will put them to his nice display. So everyone is content: I have my tree and Papo critters, he has the dinos, and dinos have a nice new habitat. :smile: :smile:

drnarayanan
22nd November 2010, 08:52 AM
Oh, don't regret for me, Doc! :wink: I don't collect dinos, so they were just lying closed in a box. And my Russian friend does collect them and will put them to his nice display. So everyone is content: I have my tree and Papo critters, he has the dinos, and dinos have a nice new habitat. :smile: :smile:

Then ...cool !!!:smile:

drnarayanan
22nd November 2010, 08:59 AM
Does any of your friends in ur place , have schleich tropical fish 16255 - Can u pls . enquire and tell me ?

HyenaSean
22nd November 2010, 12:06 PM
Oh no, where did you get this information from?? They'll retire all the trees??:eek: :confused:

Never heard of this tree. Is it extinct/prehistoric?
Yeah, to make up a forest will cost a fortune. But if one buys 2-4 trees a year, he can have his forest in a couple of years. For instance, I've bought my first branded tree last December and now I have 7 (although they're distributed among 4 shelves).

I heard it from Randy Knol, who is big into prehistoric collecting. He has some fairly close ties to CollectA, who let him in on stuff like this. So there is the other problem with slowly building a forest--they may bot be around long (and there are, after all, only 2 CollectA trees)! I understand that at least one of the Schleich ones may be discontinued as well.

As for the pine, like the Gingko it is an ancient tree that was thought extinct, but turned out to still be alive in a remote Australian valley.