PDA

View Full Version : Best Online Retailers?

Birdlegs
12th February 2009, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone. I've been wondering which online retailers other forum members find to be the best and worst. So far I've had no major issues (except one retailer charging me twice instead of refunding my money when I returned an incorrectly-sent item-- but it was quickly rectified). However, when I was comparison shopping for the 2009 Schleich figures, I noticed that Happy Hen seemed to have good prices. Unfortunately, I kept waiting for them to begin carrying the new Schleich, and eventually sent a message to their customer service e-mail address asking when they'd have them in stock. A month later, still no response. A bit more searching, and I found another retailer-- one that I'd never heard of before-- called Arsa Toys that also had very competitive prices. They also had a flat-rate shipping charge which seemed reasonable. So, I ordered several of the new Schleich animals and received them very quickly and with no problems. While I had been using TGF Toys most consistently-- and still will, since they carry more brands-- I'll probably be patronizing Arsa for Schleich purchases.

Potamus
12th February 2009, 06:14 PM
In Europe, MPV (Modellpferdeversand (http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/)) is one of my favorites. They're not always terribly fast, but reliable and have good customer service - and, as an added bonus, they don't accept credit cards so the fraud risk is virtually nil.
In the US, H&H (http://www.handhwc.com/) is one of the biggest online model horse retailers, but they have a fair selection of other animals as well and update frequently.
Don't know whether either of these is the best, but they're the only ones I've used that aren't exclusively equine.

Tiermann
12th February 2009, 08:55 PM
TGF is good, Stewart Toys is also good, but I mostly use RidgeroadStation.com these days, their pricing is slightly better and they have free shipping inside the US for orders over $30

Schleichzoo
12th February 2009, 11:17 PM
I buy many of my models (both Papo and Schleich) from an online Ebay store called 'Bette's Wood Menagerie and Variety' run by a very nice lady named Bette Jalbert.

I live in the Uk and so ordering from the USA always meant ridiculously high postage costs ie $10 to buy a small $2 or $3 Schleich model. Many of the large online retailers just have standard fixed prices but Bette is the only seller who actually charges you the exact rate and it is always cheap. I have since bought many animals from her in the last year as she is genuinely honest and she has also sold me some older retired models in the past such as Mountain Goat, Hyena, Jackal, Angus Cow which are all brand new with tags and sealed (sorry I bought the last of these). However she may still have some retired models left.

Anyway her postage costs are exact costs not overpriced amounts and this is extremely helpful for us buyers in Europe! She packages everything perfectly too! I feel like I am promoting her without the commission but believe me she is great!

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Bettes-Wood-Menagerie-and-Variety__W0QQ_armrsZ1

sillywhippet
14th February 2009, 09:02 AM
Utterly Horses is great!

JOANNAJM
14th February 2009, 11:18 AM
Hi!
I agree with Schleichzoo. I bought many of my animals at Bette store. Bette is very nice, she always has good prices and real shipping cost.

Tiermann
14th February 2009, 08:37 PM
I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I have done business with Stewart Toys and they are a reliable retailer. I received a mail from their list that they are closing so the owner can go on to other things. They have all of their Schleich and Papo on sale for very good prices. I went ahead and purchased everything they had in stock that I didn't already have. They only have through 2008 releases, no 2009.

robertelephant
16th February 2009, 01:56 PM
Anyone wanting to buy online should use 'Bette's Wood Menagerie and Variety' , Bette is an incerdibly nice lady, and very helpful in EVERY way ,ships fast and only ever sells what they actually have in stock , again they charge correct postage and are VERY helpful with international orders, Canada and Uk. She is a top ebayer and definatly gem to use!
She often has really unusual stuff and has realistic pricing.DEFINATLY TRY HER 1ST!

TGFTOYS are also very helpful and carry a huge stock, and again have fast fast shipping!Havent had anything sent from there to Europe but would guess by their other service it would be top rate too!

In Uk happyhappysue does very good pricing and shipping on her schleich , OVER £30 IS FREE, and platfrom8 toys likewise!

If ordering from ebay.com ALWAYS ALWAYS say if you are from abroad - AND ASK FOR SHIPPING COSTS- ok mistakes can and do happen which is fine BUT, I got very badly gyped twice by sellers claiming extortionately high shipping to just across the border Canada, who charged me many times the actual cost , on one occasion $50 for a $2 item!!!!! It also happened once in Germany to Uk too with a single schleich costing 5 euro , but I flattly refused to pay the several hunderd euro charge and took it to ebay, where the matter was fixed!
Moral of story always ask shipping 1st if its your 1st time using a new seller.

stecal
16th February 2009, 03:39 PM
ive used tgf toys and had stuff delivered to the uk by them their postage costs are very reasonable the only thing you got to be aware of if getting stuff from outside the eu is you may get stung for vat on anything over £18 and the post office charge £8 on top to collect it, i bought something for about £20 and had to pay £4 import duty and £8 to the post office, in the uk i use sp models occasionally and had no problems with them

WILLYBACOBOY
16th February 2009, 11:47 PM
For me Bette's Wood Menagerie and Variety is the best i think when i want something from the other side of the ocean.
Actually it is to bad,that i can buy my Schleichs much cheaper then here in Holland,next to Germany!
When i order all of the new Schleich for 2009 at Bette's store inclusive 30 dollars shipment,then the average Schleich would cost me only 3 euro per piece!
Think what they would cost me when i would live in the USA!
That is even cheaper then here in Holland or Germany,shame!!!
A good shop in Holland is http://www.schellens-speelgoed.nl/nl/front.html,where they have a lot of retired animals to,like the coral fishes for little money!
The new bigger ones are costing over 5 euro!

tetsujin
17th February 2009, 09:03 PM
I want to second (actually, third) what Robert and Willy have said about
Bette's shop. She is very nice and very professional.

Willy is quite correct about the low cost of current Schleich in the U.S.A.,
but, of course, retired Schleich are more, and sometimes, much more
expensive for those of us here in the Americas.

WILLYBACOBOY
18th February 2009, 12:03 AM
I agree on that Tetsujin.
This is because Schleich is more available in general here in Europe.
But as you see on e-bay and so on,we have to pay a lot to for the retired ones.
The problem is for you guys on the other side of the ocean,that the shipping-costs are making it more expensive.

tetsujin
19th February 2009, 05:36 AM
Hello, Willy. Also, those in the U.S. and, I believe, the U.K. do not have the
same unfettered, nearly free access to bank account wire transfers that
people in continental Europe do. There are a few banks that do not charge
for a wire, but there are sometimes hidden 3rd party charges and, as I
recently discovered, some Euro banks will not accept international non-Euro
transfers unless they meet a minimum amount requirement, often $100.

Of course, if a Euro seller accepts Paypal, then there is no problem from
this side.....

stecal
19th February 2009, 04:21 PM
Hello, Willy. Also, those in the U.S. and, I believe, the U.K. do not have the
same unfettered, nearly free access to bank account wire transfers that
people in continental Europe do. There are a few banks that do not charge
for a wire, but there are sometimes hidden 3rd party charges and, as I
recently discovered, some Euro banks will not accept international non-Euro
transfers unless they meet a minimum amount requirement, often $100.

Of course, if a Euro seller accepts Paypal, then there is no problem from
this side.....

your right about the uk it costs me £20 or about $28 on top to do a bank transfer only really worth doing if your buying a lot of figures, also ive just bought something of ebay.com and they charged me 4 times the postage costs that it actually said on the envelope, the packaging must of cost a max of 50c on top
stecal

lifepaused
28th March 2009, 02:56 AM
hi,

I am an australian scheich dealer.

I edited and deleted most of this post as it seemed to be for commercial purposes only.

WILLYBACOBOY
28th March 2009, 11:31 AM
I think we need a link to see what you have over there...

Helen
28th March 2009, 12:47 PM
If members have commerical addresses, then look at their member profiles.

Members can easily contact each other privately.

elclavo75
6th April 2009, 08:05 PM
I am currently a Schleich Dealer in the United States and hope to stock Papo, Safari Ltd, and Bullyland soon. My website can be found in my profile as I believe I am not allowed to post it here. Currently my website is only able to accept payments via Paypal but I hope to be accepting credit card payments within the next week or two. I offer free shipping on all orders over $100. Also, I currently sell on ebay US and my ebay id is atxguitarist. I will post this in my profile as well in case I am not allowed to post here. I would be happy to give back by offering laughing giraffe members an extra 10% discount, just message me for more information. Also, please let me know of any suggestions you may have for the site. Thanks, Justin

WILLYBACOBOY
7th April 2009, 03:16 AM
You snapped a lot of rare items before my nose and some friend-collectors of mine on e-bay Germany in the last year,hhhmmmmmm
And now a shop.....
Seling those for more money now? :eek: :rolleyes: :redface:

elclavo75
7th April 2009, 07:51 AM
Hi, no, actually I am only selling the extra retired animals I have accumulated through purchasing large lots. I still need about 20 animals to complete my own collection but havent seen any of them anywhere lately. Justin

WILLYBACOBOY
7th April 2009, 10:21 AM
Hello Justin.
It doesn't matter what you did with those animals,it is not my business,i was just joking... :wink:
I just remembered your e-bay name very well,since you were the one that snapped so much Schleichs before my nose,haha.
I wish you good luck with your business,maybe it is an advantage for us collectors here to have an inside retailer.
Cheers!

elclavo75
27th May 2009, 05:52 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we just received ours shipments of New SCHLEICH AND PAPO 2009 Animals.

Contact me for information.

Thanks, Justin